When you work with me you don’t just get great images. You also get my varied past experience to draw on and my ever increasing network and more besides. I thought I’d do a series of posts about working with me, what I bring to a shoot (and it’s not just my camera) and how I will work with you. This first post is about what else I bring to the table when you work with me.
Food & Hospitality Experience
I started off many years ago working in the food and drink industry starting at the bottom and working my way up to management. In that time I ran two kitchens, cooking in both., ran bars and a whole lot more. I know that food, drink & hospitality is damn hard work but I also know that with the right team, there’s a special buzz that is just magical to be a part of.
I totally get the pains and issues in the trade. I’ve been there.
As a huge food lover, this past experience means I can also cook in the studio and one of the services I offer is cooking up clients recipes in the studio to photograph and/or video their recipes. Additionally I can create or adapt recipes for you, which use your products to best advantage. This is something I really enjoy doing and it means I get an in depth knowledge of the products.
Vegan Tikka Masala Samosa – Recipe by Slightly Different Foods. Cooking, Styling and Photography by me, come and work with me and I can do the same for you.
IT & Commercial Experience
When children came along I left catering and ended up in the creative and commercial sectors, after working in development with The Prescription Pricing Authority, Northumbria University and Sage, I quit and started a web development business in 2002 that spun out a high tech company working in Virtual Reality for medical training, as you do!
Here I worked with a vast array of businesses including a good number of food ones. The businesses I worked with ran from small SME’s and startups through to large international corporates. This meant I got a rapid but thorough grounding into corporate branding and the huge importance of ‘being on brand’, I also worked under NDA quite often and dealt with IP issues. I was used to working as part of a client’s team as and when needed and became accustomed to being an ‘Ideas’ person, who could always come up with alternative solution.
While I grew to loath working in IT and spending days, weeks and months doing project management it also bit by bit brought me back to my first love of photography.
Funny how things turn out isn’t it? Clients needed great imagery, our high tech company needed great imagery and so finally I was starting to do what I really loved.
Photography is all
Aberfeldy 12 years old Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Lighting is so important to bring out the colours and make the image pop. Skill and experience along with knowledge of the subject are key here.
So in 2014 Sue Todd Photography was born and the rest as they say is history.
This past experience together with my ever growing network comes in so useful now, as I can make suggestions a client may not have thought about, or provide an introduction to another in an adjacent field whether that’s for allergy information, labelling, drinks development, exporting, printing, copyright, proofreading, editing, artwork and the list goes on. If I don’t know the answer straight off I will know where to go.
Work with me, get all the above experience to draw on and then …
Added to the mix are a set of values that mean the world to me:
- Passionate about photography – I live to create beautiful food and drink photography that makes you want it then and there. I feel I’m so lucky to be able to combine my love of all things food with my photography obsession – let’s be honest it’s rare I don’t have a camera with me and I spend much of my downtime also with a camera in my hand.
- Creative – bursting with ideas, dreams and imagination
- Can Do Attitude – I believe in Results Oriented Teamwork – working hard and together to get the right results every time – No such word as ‘can’t’ – you just haven’t found the answer yet.
- Honesty and Integrity – This just cuts through to the core.
- Fun – I love what I do and I like to have fun and a laugh while working. You’re a long time dead and if everyone involved in the shoot is enjoying it, they input so much more and the results speak for themselves.
- Never stop learning – No one knows it all, there’s always more and I love looking for new ideas, new methods, new solutions and new skills. I really do believe that unless you are furthering knowledge and skills and moving forwards, then you are stagnating or going backwards – and who wants to go there? Let’s go someplace we’ve not been before.
So come work with me, you’ll get beautiful images, a raft of knowledge, and incredible determination to achieve the best possible results. Get in touch now
to explore what I can offer you and the ideas I can bring you. If you’d like to see how my work is received by others, come over to my LinkedIn Profile to see